Akunnu indigenes have ever been the most enterprising people in Akoko. With Akoko are coming under the Royal Niger Company in 1880. Rev. Obasoro and Mr. Asiwaju expressively confirmed that there were elements of Akunnu and of her environs in the recruitments for services effected by the Royal Niger Company between 1890 and 1900. Christianity influence; such as when Rev. H. F. Gane first visited Akoko in 1910. Christianity met a fertile ground for propagation of the Gospel, especially at Akunnu. Among the strong foundation members who quickly learnt to read and some to write were Josiah Obadore, Joshua Olusa, Jeremiah Olusa, Isaac Obanla, Bello Akande, Isaac Obadofin and several others. There was a young man who struggle to become a Church Evangelist in 1915 at Lokoja, his example followed by Obayan, Olumoko, Afe, Saba, Ajibola, and with few others, who formed the first set of Akoko sons that offered themselves for the ministry of the Church. These first set of Christians were dynamic and pushful in all that pertained to the Church and Education. They were characterized by their brother hood and prayerfulness. They were greatly encouraged by David Onokoya who was formerly an itinerant Church Agent in Akoko. It was through his influence that the first Church was built in 1914. The second and present one was built at the time of Catechist Ogunsakin in 1928 – 1930. After nthe first baptism in 1912, there arose a terrible persecution of the Church by the heathen elders of the town. Ten Christians were tortured in various ways and badly accused to the Government for dislodging the native that the youths of the town did not take serious side with the elders in the matter, owing to their interest in the new gospel light. By 1920 some leading members of the Church went to Owo for Confirmation. In 1919 the Church Agent in charge started to organize home evening lessons for the youths and children of the congregation; and by 1921 when Rev. L. A. Lennon opened the first set of day schools in Akoko, that of Akunnu was one of the progressive and with encouraging result out of the lot. It produced many able and devoted Church and School workers for the District. Very early in the 1950’s, the ideas of having both Secondary Modern and later Secondary Grammar Schools were initiated by the Church.